26 September 2007

Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita

I'm embarking on a great literary journey. This is it. My friend MK has been reading a 100 best list since she started college, and after hearing her mention it in class one day, I decided to do the same, minus the starting college bit. I chose the Penguin must-read-before-you-die list after reviewing a few others. Of course, they're all biased. The Penguin list is imperfect, but I like its categories, and any book that includes The Story of the Eye can't be all bad (that's been recommended to me by a friend, and from what I hear it's quite a book... wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more).

Now, some of these books I've read:

1. The Canterbury Tales by Chaucer
2. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
3. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
4. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
5. The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald
6. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
7. The Time Machine by HG Wells
8. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
9. 1984 by George Orwell
10. The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
11. The Iliad by Homer

I won't consider re-reading them until I finish the others, however many years (minutes?) from now that may be. That means I have 89 excellent pieces of literature to read. I'm starting with Dracula.

Ciao.

2 comments:

hkonz said...

Mmm, I love Dorian Gray.
If I were to embark on the journey, I'd read "Venus in Furs," first. I've been way into the Velvet Underground lately. You know the song, right?

roxbnl8 said...

Yeah. I'll definitely keep that one up on the higher end of the list. I haven't quite decided how I want to go about finishing them... I suppose "Venus in Furs" can be next!